The following observations are of course my personal view and do not claim to be the “truth”!
Here comes Fan Ying (China):
- good footwork
- very good fast and/or spinny forehand topspin
- good backhand and forehand defense
- consistent pushing capabilities with the long pimples
- no particularly sophisticated and dangerous serves
- forehand defense often comes back to high or long due to taking the ball too early or too high. To be fair one must admit that rare female players can hit topspins so hard and fast as Vacenovska showed here.
- often returns block balls into her back hand to high and gets punished by smashes.
- practice defending with the forehand taking the ball lower or later
- practice defending deceptive “floats” with here forehand. Ball should be returned fast, low and with nearly no backspin.
- occasionally use the long pimples when defending slow spinny topspins down into her forehand
- absolutely use pimples in occasionally to hard chop back pushes down her backhand
- practice counterspinning slow topspins into her forehand with heavy side spin
- should practice a greater variety of serves particularly shorter ones with various spin.