The following observations are of course my personal view and do not claim to be the “truth”!
Here comes SHIONO Masato (Japan):
This is really as good as it gets!!!
An important update due to his phantastic wins in the Japan Open 2013:
nice and intense double:
- very good footwork, very fast and good overall fitness
- occasionally nice heavy chop on backhand defense.
- consistent though not always “deadly” forehand topspin, solid but occasionally not fast enough
- consistent blocking and counterspinning on his forehand, sometimes a little slowish
- good backhand serves
- good deceptive twiddling of the bat, occasionally using (presumably short) pips on the forehand to defend on heavy loaded topspins
- is not using wrist enough to get more spin and power to topspin and chop
- not great variety of forehand serves
- very rare backhand blocking or topspins
- should use the pips more often to unexpectately block the ball
- should practice more forehand serves
- should try to use more wrist when pushing or chopping the ball